Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Whichever one shoots best...

I've got a 1/12 that loves 165-168 gr. Bullets. No makey no sense, but it shooots them a ton better than the 150-155 grainers.

It has a short tube on it, so I wish it liked the lighter bullets better so I could get the velocity up, but it is what it is...

actually, as i understand it, the 1-12" is ideal for 168 SMKs. my 700P prefers them as well and it's a 1-12.

I honestly don't think there is a .308 that won't shoot the 168 matchkings or Federal Gold Medal Match loaded with them. I had a 700LTR that loved them, as do both my kimbers.

But my understanding is that the 1-12" was designed to stabilize the 150 class bulllets and the 168-170 were getting close to the end of its ability to stabilize. None the less I have a few cases of 168gr. FGMM and they work, even in a buddies 1-14" tube... never tried them on game, but they go where you want them to...

You ask on a LR forum, so you'll get some of those answers but for short range shots, out to 200, you can use about any dang thing really.

I don't care so much for CC bullets due to damage to game mostly. in your situation I"d be really tempted to be running light barnes TTSX in the 130 range

OTOH I've never seen a failure to kill with the 168 smk and I never hesitate to use those. Would'nt blink twice if thats all I ever had to use.

I've never had a 12 twist 308, not sure why they would do that but then factories don't think like nuts do. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....