Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I didn't answer R H's question on how the dots work. After taking the rings off the turret, you place the three dots at specified yardages such as 300, 400 and 500, using a 200 yd. zero. You calculate the clicks for 300 yds., drop the first or bottom ring in place with the dot lined up at the rear of the turret. Then dial in the clicks for the next yardage, drop the next disc in place with the dot lined up with the reference mark. Third one and you're done. Replace the top cap and go shoot.

I had to return the Z5 to Swaro when a small plastic clip broke, the piece that holds the turret in place. That seemed pretty flemsy for a high dollar scope, but they fixed it.

I've sent more Kahles and Swaro scope for CS to fix something that broke, than Leupolds.

Just saying...

DF

Thanks for that explanation.The Swaro Z5 fits my weight and magnification desires better than anything else except possibly the scope I'm using now.

When I bought the Forbes,my plan was to use a 3X9 SWFA but the ejection on this rifle is so steep that I couldn't use those turrets with any height Talley lightweights. I took my 10 year old VXII 4-12X40 AO fine duplex off my rimfire and mounted it just to see how the rifle would shoot. I like the size and weight of that scope if the fine duplex is a little too thin. I've used that scope temporarily on several deer rifles until I could buy another. I've killed deer with it from 20-400 yards.I just don't like the reticle for the very last light.

The Z5 has been my pick because it's only 2 ounces heavier than that VXII. I just now looked at a VX2 4-12 with AO ,the windplex reticle and a turret. It's 1/3 the price of the Z5. I know the Z5 glass is better but hearing about your plastic ring breaking,and having felt the play in the Z5 adjustments for myself has me wondering just how much better the Z5 is mechanically that that VX2.

I don't dial my current VXII but it has been solid for 10 years on several deer rifles and hundreds of rounds. I would only occasionally dial anything on the Forbes. I live where long shots aren't much of a possibility. I just wanted a turret in case I ever do take the rifle to a different state. I honestly wish I had a little more confidence in the build quality of the Z5. I'm starting to think it costs 3 times as much as a VX2 but is only slightly, possibly better mechanically.