Back in 2011 "Hammer" wrote?

Why is there such bad thoughts and reports concerning Winchester 101 shotguns? Bought one back in 1982 or so. Shot trap with it for a couple of years even though it had short barrels. Still have it. Think I have one or two more 101�s that I bought since then. But you can�t find a supporter of Winchester 101 shotguns on any of the shotgun internet forums.

They all report that the 101 is the hardest kicking shotgun for its weight ever made. And other nasty things too. Everyone is a Browning Citori fan. I like Citori's too. But can't somone like a 101 and a Citori ?

Thoughts ?

I cringe every time I read this BAP... It's like any sophomoric complaint... no real data, just feelings. One fella said he was going to buy one until he found out it was made in Japan... Wholy Cow... doesn't this man know that some of the finest products come from Japan... small intricate well made stuff. Tbis is not post WWII where Japan means JUNK!

I have been shooting for 50 years now, and been in private clubs where you learn by keeping your mouth closed and your ears open. The Winchester 101 is one of the finest guns available in it's price range.

I bought my first in 1969 brand new, and sold it when California announced a lead ban for hunting. Thought my skeet days were over and hunting was a thing of the past with this 20ga 3" mag. I deeply regretted this as I retired and bought acreage in NC and built a skeet range on my land. http://ccskeet.com

I bought one of the NEW Winchester 101's made in Belgium and loved it instantly. The FN Factory in Belgium built many fine Browning guns for many years. Workmanship beyond belief.

I launched a project to find a 20ga 3" Mag skeet/skeet like I had before... and finally did. Fit me like a glove and I shot a 23 with it the first time out. Very tight, and no signs of wear at all for this OLD gun. So where is the "they wear out quickly" complaint from? Perhaps someone who doesn't know about oil and cleaning? Can't figure this out.

True enough the Italians have a corner on the shotgun market. I have several Beretta auto's and recently bought a 686 Silver Pigeon. Nice sleek gun, but not without it's own problems. Like closing the action is interfered with by some brands of shells... One of my members at our club sold all of his Beretta's just because of this. The jury is still out on whether or not the Beretta will stay in my collection.

Since the Beretta purchase I have purchased a second 101 20ga skeet/skeet gun. It is also very tight and shows no abnormal wear. A few handling marks in the butt stock, and bluing wear on the receiver from handling while hunting. Likely not fired a lot by comparison to skeet shooting where we shoot 100 shots in 90 minutes.

Anyway... I'm here to tell the World that the Winchester 101 is a great buy and a great value. Every bit as good as any Browning O/U made, and Chas Daily was (by the way) made in Japan. I have a Browning Lightning 28ga and it's also made in Japan. Prefer the Winchester over the Browning. But I shoot both well.

So if you are in the market for a O/U consider this:
[*]if hunting buying a gun lighter than 6.5lbs may be good
[*]if skeet shooting buying a light gun will kill your shoulder

Resist the urge to buy entry level products. They will always be not what you want after a short while, and difficult to get a return on investment.

Buy quality products and USED when possible. It's then possible to use the item and sell it at or for more than you paid for it to begin with. You'll never get hurt if you shop around and get a nice old gun suitable for your purposes.

Comments ??????