Thank you for the kind words and the personal insight, Owl.
A fellow just shared some notes from one of his early mentor, who kept elk-hunting diaries. Many bulls in his group fell to the .300 Savage, some to the .32 Special.
Credit careful shooting up close! .... Wayne

Originally Posted by Owl
Thank you Wayne for your wisdom and insight,

In the last 38 years, I've taken elk in Utah, Nevada, and Arizona. I'm guessing somewhere around 22-25 animals. Mostly bulls, and a half dozen cows. All under 200 yards. Most less than 100 yards.

My father was not a hunter. I usually went with one of my best friends and his father "Steve" in northern Utah. For as many years as I new "Steve" he was able to harvest an elk every year he hunted. His "go to" rifles were either a pre WWII Remington Model 141 chambered in .35 Remington, or a Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage.

"Steve" new me. He new me well, as I had been hunting pheasants, grouse, ducks, geese etc. with him since I was 12. And I new "Steve" and respected him as a mentor. The very first thing that "Steve" taught me was that the cartridge size was not nearly as important as shot placement.

When I was 15, I bought my first center fire rifle. I had wanted a .300 WM or 7mm RM as they were all the rage in 1978. I also recall having shot a 300 WM loaded with a 220 gr bullet that really hurt when I was 14 years old. Then I rememebered what "Steve" had taught me. So, I purchased me a Ruger M77R chambered in .30-06 Sprg at a now defunct store called ZCMI in Ogden, UT. I thought that I was on TOP OF THE WORLD. If I recall, I paid $189.00 for it. It wears a weaver K4 to this day.

I'm a man of large stature. 6'2" tall and 275 lbs. I'm not recoil shy. Yes, I've taken animals with a .338 WM. I've harvested Arizona Coues Whitetail at close to 500+ yards with a 7mm RM. I've taken Mule Deer at 400+ yards in Utah and Nevada with the .30-06. And yes, they were one shot kills. But, these days, I find myself wanting to shoot at distance's less than 200 yards with a lighter rifle and less recoil.

Back to your article, and the 90 percent rule. In my opinion, you are 100% on target with your "90 Percent Rule" on a 16" target, at a target less than 200 yards, from multiple positions such as standing, kneeling, prone, off of shooting sticks, with a rifle that one can shoot well is the best advise there is. It's a better choice to shoot a rifle that one can shoot well and hit his intended target each and everytime, rather than miss or wound an animal with a rifle/cartridge that causes one to flinch and pull shots due to anticipation of heavy recoil. I'd rather take an ethical shot with a heavy 6mm bullet at a short range (less than 200 yards) knowing I could place in the "kill zone" rather than shoot one of my heavier magnums at a long distance target and hope that my shot placement is at the point I intended and risk losing a majestic animal.

I know that there will be "nay sayer's" on using a heavy 6mm bullet over a 180 gr bullet out of a 300 WM, but it's my opinion if you can't shoot it well, with an ethical shot, then don't shoot. You need to wait for a chance to put place a well placed shot into the vitals, rather than wound an Elk and take the chance of losing it.

Thanks again for the great article.