Originally Posted by RBO
I've got a question about barrel contour. In a model 20 with a 22" barrel what contour would you get? Will a #2 balance better at 22" long? Would a #1 maybe balance out better at 24"? Or is a #1 fine at 22" long?

I'll be using this rifle as a still hunting rifle with most close range shots 200yds or less being freehand, any further will most likely be off one knee or a rest.

I don't know if my information will help or hurt you. smile

I have two Model 20's; a 7mm-08 with #2 barrel and a .243 with a #1 barrel. Both barrel's are 22" long.

Their weight are 6 pounds 1.4 oz and 6 pounds 2.4 oz.....respectively. Yes, the .243 weighs a touch more than the -08. Both guns have identical scopes (VariX III 2.5x8) and Talley 1" mounts. The only difference I can see is the recoil pads, the -08 has a ULA marked 1" pad and the .243 has a Colt Light Rifles 1/2" pad.

Both guns handle like a dream for me. Sometimes I "think" the .243 with its #1 barrel seems lighter but the scale doesn't lie. Neither choice is wrong on barrel contour as far as I'm concerned.

My Model 28s has a #2 on it and it also handles peachy....

I'd like to handle a #3 just for giggles but doubt it'd sway me away from the other two contours.