Here's my .02:

Start by having a few professional outfits (guys like ADT) come out and do a home survey as an interested buyer. It should be free, and after listening to all of them and weeding through the BS, you'll learn:

1) What they'd intend to install and why (and hopefully the up-sell stuff will be obvious)

2) You'll get educated on camera and sensor technology. As everything you can about camera resolutions, Power over Ethernet (PoE) vs. legacy BNC, vs other connectivity options. Glass break sensors can stick on windows or mount in the rooms (and use different technologies), each have advantages and disadvantages.... There is a lot to learn and comprehend if you really want to take an active role in the end architecture.

3) Ask about your local jurisdictions alarm monitoring rules. The entity that a call center monitoring your home would notify is called an Authority Having Jurisdiction ("AHJ"). These are similar to, and usually related to the 911 call centers in your city. Many have strict registration and license requirements for supporting your remote-monitored home, which may include fines for false alarms. BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR AHJ'S RULES BEFORE DIVING INTO REMOTE PROFESSIONAL MONITORING!

The alarm company doing the sales call should have 100% understanding of those requirements. Data mine that info from them the best you can.

Finally, remote monitoring via a smart phone app is a crap shoot and usually finicky with true DIY.

My final advice would be this:

1) Consider a traditional alarm company to do the full install - let them crawl up in your attic and pull wires. If you agree to pay the monthly monitoring fee, the equipment should come at a discount and a nice the remote monitoring app that is tested and supported should be included. They will monitor your system as advertised.

2) Alternatively, you could pay for everything above to get the discount on the equipment, and pay for (**but not use**) the remote monitoring (my suggestion)

3) True DIY. Buy a system from some retailer, set it up, take your chances with the included app, and not really have the set-up monitored real time but record everything, including some motion detection, etc.

I chose #3. It's OK, but if I had to do it over, I'd go #2, above.

HTH. Lots to learn and this was just an overview. Let me know if you have any questions,

--Duck911

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.