Originally Posted by Boise
I'll share this again even though I seem to get jumped on every time.

I carry my trophies home as checked luggage. I understand regulations in foreign countries have changed since the mid-2000's. I've personally carried trophies home from foreign countries six different times. One of the times my trophies were confiscated in Denver, which was wrong, and I did receive an apology, but I did have to pay for air shipment from Denver along with a fee from a receiving company. In all still far cheaper.

You'll need a list of all the trophies from a local government office documenting each animal. I have returned home with CITIES 3 animals without issue.

If I were to go again I would hand carry back european mounts and have my taxidermist purchase capes if I wanted life mounts.

You'll want to book your arrival so you have extra time to go through customs but in all my trips it only took about an extra 20 minutes. One time when entering Dalles the agent was taken back and I asked them to contact their manager who came out and said my shipment was acceptable. He also asked me if I had enough time to use my trophies for training. It was fun to watch him train his people.

I extend my trip after my hunt to allow my trophies to dry - still far cheaper than shipping them.

Where the previous countries you brought stuff home from in Africa? I am willing to bet hard money you won't get vet, nature conservation, and customs export certificates done now in less than 2-3 weeks. Bribes will only help just so much. If you don't prior contact with USFWS and USDA inspectors to meet your plane on your arrival, again you are screwed. Good luck on bringing raw stuff from Africa as your personal luggage.