I still reload my 12 ga loads but I load 7/8 oz of #8s or 1 oz of 7 1/2s for all my shotgun competition if factory loads are not required. My league and practice ammo is 7/8 oz of reclaimed shot. My price per box is under $4 for reclaimed and around $3 when using new shot as the shot I have was bought way back when I could get a bag for less than $20. I bought by the pallet back then and would have probably used it up if I had not lucked into a drum of reclaimed shot a couple of times.

The advantage of reloads is I can produce equivalents of the top factory loads (Winchester AA or Remington STS) for at least half -even at current pricing- what it would cost me at the store. For competition the added performance can make a difference at times and if nothing else it puts one's mind at ease giving them the confidence to concentrate on making the shot rather than wondering about the load. For goofing around at the local range with one's buddies, the least expensive loads which reliably operate in your gun are fine.