ABLE,

Sorry for the delayed response, I had to round up all my data, to show you what you would be dealing with using TSS. I also will 100% disagree with msinc, there is no need for the Big 10 gauge these days, you could infact hunt big geese with a 20 and be extremely effective.

So as I said before TSS is approximately 60% heavier than lead shot, and it is approximately 125% heavier than steel shot. This will allow you to use a smaller size shot with much more effectiveness, by increasing you pellet count, and increasing your pattern density.

As for what is needed to consistently kill turkeys, waterfowl, and coyotes, the rule of thumb is you need 1.25" of ballistics gelatin penetration at your max distance to consistently kill a turkey, 1.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration for large ducks, 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration for geese, and 3.7" of ballistics gelatin penetration to consistently anchor a coyote.

That said we are discussing geese here, so the below figures are based on 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration, and at the max yardage you can achieve that amount of penetration at various velocities and shot materials.

Steel BB (72 pellets/oz) @ 1400 fps = 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration at 35 yds

Steel BBB (62 pellets/oz) @ 1400 fps = 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration at 41 yds

Lead BB (50 pellets/oz) @ 1300 fps = 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration at 83 yds

HW13 BB (47 pellets/oz) @ 1300 fps = 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration at 121 yds

TSS 2 (54 pellets/oz) @1300 fps = 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration at 163 yds

TSS 6 (139 pellets/oz) @ 1300 fps = 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration at 83 yds

TSS 7.5 (219 pellets/oz) @ 1300 fps = 2.5" of ballistics gelatin penetration at 57 yds

So looking at the numbers that most closely match as far as range, both Lead BB, and TSS #6s at 1300 fps will give 2.5" of gel penetration at 83 yds. However, in order to match the pattern density of a 1 oz load of #6 TSS, with Lead BBs, you would need a 2.75 oz payload at 1300 fps, and that won't happen with a 12 ga or even the big 10.

All these numbers were derived from the KPY ballistics program, and are quite accurate. I put Lead BB in the place of HW10 or HW11, because it is the closest thing to it. HW13 in this program is calculated to be 13 g/cc density, which in reality the HW13 shot you get from Bucksrun, is only averaging batch to batch at around 11.8-12 g/cc density.

So...as you can see TSS, is above and beyond, a superior product to Steel, Lead, and any other HTL shot available. Like I said, you can hunt big geese very effectively with a little 20 ga. Oh, and with TSS, you don't need a Wad Wizard choke, or a really expensive tight choke, for that matter. We folks that hunt turkeys with TSS, do it with a more open Full or Extra Full choke. TSS tends to favor the more open chokes, for best performance.