Even though my favorite waterfowl gun is an Ithace Mag-10 I've been using since 1979, I agree there isn't a need for the 10 ga these days. Since the mid-late 1990s when Winchester came out with their Supreme line, steel took a leap forward in effectiveness. I began loading a similar load in the early 90s with good success. I stopped loading my own when similar loads became available.

With them, I could reliably take geese as far out as I could with lead in the "old days". This ranged from snows and Lesser Canada's to the Giant subspecies out to 60 yards as ranged by a laser. I tried the various non-toxics as they came out but found them to kill birds no better than steel though at much greater cost.

Cost may not be a factor to some but I was guiding and going through a few hundred rounds a year added up. I also noticed that those who could shoot well killed birds reliably while those that were not nearly accomplished had many more cripples. And that did not change whether using lead, steel, or anything else.

I also learned that picking the right field, a good decoy set up, and decent calling brought birds in close and it again did not matter what one used. I guess the moral is, shot type becomes less important as one's skill in shooting and decoying improve. The heavier than steel alternatives may be able to give me more range but I find steel plenty adequate for me in my comfort zone. Others see things differently and whatever gives them confidence is what is right for them.