Originally Posted by Remsen
I have an 09 F150 that I like quite a bit, but I had to rent a truck last week when I was doing some stuff on my land in Montana and they gave me a new Tundra. It was a pretty basic version of the Tundra and had the smaller V8 (I think 4.6), 4x4. I spent a lot of time either off road or hauling stuff from Helena to my cabin in the woods about 65 miles from Helena.

This is obviously very unscientific, but a few things about the Tundra stood out compared to my F150.

On the positive side, the ride on road was much smoother and it was plenty capable off road.

On the negative side, that 4.6 engine was not up to the job. It felt gutless on the highway, even unloaded, and got horrible mileage (worse than my F150). Something like 14 mpg overall. For a new vehicle (it had only 4000 miles on it) it was already starting to show quality issues-the rear doors would unlock randomly, the backup camera didn't always work when the truck was put in reverse and the seats felt like they had no padding.

It wasn't a bad truck at all, but if you're going Tundra I think the 4.6 is a bad move. Everything I've heard about the 5.7 engine makes it sound like you don't take a MPG hit by going with the bigger engine but you get much better power.

I have a friend that owns a 4.6 Tundra and raves about it FWIW, he lives outside of State College PA. He used to won Fords in fact that is all he ever owned until the Toyota

I had numerous cosmetic and just plain stupid QC issues with my 2016 F150. I had 2 interior panels( steering wheel surround and bottom of glove box panel) flat out loosen up and one fell on the passenger floor. The coup de etat was the vacumn leak which an engineer from Dearborn could not figure out. Until they replace the vacumn line system any F150 is going to potentially have the issue mine had maybe not to the same degree hopefully. I had both intake manifolds,hubs,IWE's, front axles, 2 ecm units, vacumn box, vacumn pump replaced in an effort to figure it out. They took a vacumn line from a truck that worked. If a manufacturer cannot fix a problem like this then they need to be flogged. The POS truck had 6500 on the odo.

The fit and finish on my Tundra is among the best I have seen in a long while. Toyotas might not match 80's stuff but they are superior to anything I drove in when comparing vehicles.