R.C., a number of years ago I ran a test on that. First, I don't smoke so I was not lighting the ZIPPO 25/30 times a day for cigarettes. Once a day I would light it for 15 seconds, simulating getting some fine kindling going, then put the rubber band back on. I did this each day for eight weeks and it never failed. After eight weeks, I stopped the test simply because what it proved to me was that in an emergency, it would last me a long time.

I've also carried a cleaned small Tobasco bottle as illustrated, filled with lighter fluid. It is in my day pack but I've never had to use it.

Should one overfill the lighter, the rubber "ranger" band keeps the lighter fluid from leaking and blistering one's skin, if it is in a pants pocket. I cut the bands from a used bicycle tube. If I overfill the Zippo, I just let it stand open for five minutes and then no problem.

The ZIPPO is far more windproof than a BIC, can stand alone, and much easier to light if one's hands are extremely cold. I also put it in a glass of water for two hours to see if the band really made it waterproof. It does. Fired up on the first strike.

The ZIPPO that is burning I won in a Sunday afternoon barracks poker game when I was in the Army stationed at Fort Gordon, Georgia, in 1959. About ten years ago it was getting "weary" so I sent it to ZIPPO and they returned it tightened up, a new wick, cotton filling, flints, and nearly like a new one. Only cost to me was the $2.00 to mail it to them. That's what you call quality service. grin

As I said, it works for my needs.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)