I currently have both a Kimber Montana (8400, 84M, 84L) and a M70 EW in 300 WSM. I also picked out a M70 EW in 30-06 for my best bud. Needless to say, I've shot all the above many, many times in cartridges from 257 Robts to 300 WSM.

Thoughts:

1. Montana is definitely lighter by alot. My 84Ls have weighed right at 6.5 lbs with Talley and various Leupold VX-3 scopes. My EW weighs 7lbs 12 oz, my bud's 06 a shade under 8lbs even though it has a 22" barrel.

2. Ergos - both fit me well. I'd say the EW probably a tiny bit better. The newer 84L stock feel 'dainty' compared to the EW stock.

3. Both actions are smooth although the edge probably goes to the EW. All the ones I've handled have been very smooth. I also have a new model M70 Ultimate Shadow. I don't notice much difference between it and the EW action.

4. Accuracy - I've had 'remarkable' luck with Montanas getting them to shoot MOA. All the EWs have been equally as accurate and are likely a tiny bit easier to shoot because they weigh a bit more than the Montana.

As for me, I'd go Montana in 7-08. I can't fathom a 7.75 lb 7-08 which is about where you'd end up with in a M70 EW. But if you're not lugging it around mountains, a M70 7-08 works.

Good luck.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.