Yes it is--and it was especially funny because he discovered the virtues of Irish whiskey the first night everybody on the hunt got together, at an 800-year-old castle that had been converted to a hotel. Our two Irish hosts, John and Liam, were generous enough to buy us drinks of Midleton, considered by some to be the finest whiskey in Ireland. It retails for about $150 a fifth, and drinks in the castle/hotel bar were $20 apiece.

But Richard liked it so much John and Liam kept buying. Eileen and I went back to our room around 10:00. Richard started for his room an hour or so after we left. John and Liam closed down the bar in the wee hours.

The castle, like many, had been added onto over the centuries, and consisted of several long wings on two levels. The rooms had names, not numbers, and you really needed to remember which turns to take to get there. Luckily, the hallways were full of old artifacts, such as suits or armor, old game mounts, paintings of knights slaying each other with plenty of gore, tapestries of country scenes, etc. For instance, Eileen and I had to take the first stairway to the right from lobby, then turn right at the glass case, filled with a mounted otter eating a mounted trout. I can't remember the name of our room, but it was several doors down from the otter, on the left.

In Richard's condition, however, he got totally lost--and for some reason still had his luggage with him. He ended up hiking the halls for at least a couple of hours, looking for his room--where John and Liam found him after they closed down the bar. They got Richard settled, then went to bed themselves.

Then we all got up early and went hunting....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck