"Possibly a 99G ~s.n. 300xxx+" I wasn't that far off... smile
I saw the windage sight, obviously replaced.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Okay, you've all expressed the same thoughts I had when I saw. Except nobody commented on the early windage adjustable rear sight.

The serial number is 325,420, which makes it an early 1930 rifle according to my data. All numbers match, the gun library guy was nice enough to remove the buttplate. It definitely has a perchbelly stock, there's a 1925 99G in there also and the difference is obvious - though I have seen more pronounced perchbelly stocks.

The sights have been replaced, but all else looks original and it has a lot of condition. If it wasn't for the pitting, the price might be acceptable.

Now, why does it have the perchbelly stock? The manufacture date was after the stock market crash, and they produced very few guns in 1930. Rick was thinking they might have just pulled an old, unused stock out and finished it. Very possible - tho 13 years seems a long time to leave a stock laying around. And it wouldn't take but a little bit to file off that extra to make it look standard. But we've seen them use receivers 15-20 years after they were made. But with the 1914 rear sight, I wouldn't rule out that somebody sent in their early 250-3000 for repair or replacement and demanded a perchbelly stock on the new one - and Savage made one due to the serious lack of business.

But it's probably the latest correct perchbelly stock anybody has seen.

Never say never.

"Every day above ground is a good day."