Hi GunDoc7.

I don't think the barrel screw needs to be a detriment to accuracy, but it sometimes can be.

If your action indexes well into your stock inletting (i.e. no left to right slop), and if your stock is still straight, then properly and consistently torqued action screws + barrel screw will not harm accuracy. However, many factory stocks permit a bit of left-right slop of the action. Also, some stocks slightly warp over time, especially if they have had a moisture exposure (this is easiest to check for where the barrel exits the barrel channel in the forestock). When either or both of these things is true, then installing the barrel screw adds a slightly vectored force on the barrel, pre-loading it to the left or right of center-line. While this portion of the barrel is stout enough that it will not deflect in a measurable way when you install the barrel screw, the presence of that vectored tension makes the barrel "whip" differently when fired. This is where it affects accuracy.

I hunted for years with a pre-64 Sporter which had the screw removed. It was acceptably accurate. I finally upgraded the barrel to a Lilja (with no barrel screw, of course) and couldn't believe the difference. It is that same 1955 .30-06 we discussed previously...
[Linked Image]

If I recall correctly, it was Jack O'Connor who advocated removing the screw altogether.

Best,

Justin