Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That was my dream airplane, because I'm an air-to-mud guy. But I fell in the twilight zone of pilot overages after 'Nam. Fighter slots were zealously guarded by existing fighter jocks, and no newcomer need apply. I was ground attack qualified, but that didn't count enough. Sigh...

Hill AFB is the world maintenance depot for the A-10 among many other aircraft, so we see them flying in and out (with new wings) all the time.

Say goodbye to the hogs at Hill, They are on their way to another base, New Mexico I think.
I know a E7 at Hill who's main headache is keeping a balance of parts and planes matched during the transition.
BTW, I'll bet I'm the only guy on the fire that has a 30mm cannon barrel from a A-10 in his garage

Spent the earlier part of the month at Hill with all the folks who are collectively involved with the A-10. Just a handful of the Boeing wings to go and the entire delivery of 178 wings will be complete and replacements performed. That's not the current fleet but what the contract was for. There is a new date for retirement of the A-10 but it was emphasized that like many things gov't...not anything people are hanging their hats on.