Actually, there is no "separation of Church and state", as such, mentioned anywhere in the Constitution. This is a common misconception. However, it is written there shall be freedom of religion - not to be confused with freedom from religion - and that the government shall not establish a particular religion. The Constitution in no way states or implies a non-existence of God, just the prohibition of an official government sponsored particular religion. A reason for this was that some of the original colonies had specific established religions. Not sure about others, but Maryland was one that originally banned all non-Catholics from residing there. A branch of my family that were devout Presbyterians had to leave Maryland for North Carolina due to this.

Additionally, and this has nothing to do with the Constitution, when Texas was being settled as a state of Mexico, all colonists were required by the Mexican government to convert to the Catholic religion. With the advent of the Republic of Texas, this citizenship requirement was abolished.

Personally, I wish the founding fathers had made a statement in the Constitution such as to proclaim the free practicing of religion of individual choice, but also including a statement that this nation is founded on the principles of Judeo-Christain values. I can well understand how they would never have imagined such weirdness and perversion as we now see demanding "rights" and acceptance.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."