I am a retired Texas Game Warden and My first station was in South Texas , a Highway Patrolman called me one night about 2AM and wanted to meet me it was during deer season . I met him and he told me that he had stopped a speeder running about 85mph about an hour ago and when he stopped this guy he hands were bloody , his pants and knees were all skinned up and this guy was scared to death.
he started questioning him and the guy told him he was driving south and spotted some deer feeding under a vapor light alongside the hwy next to a big butane tank and started thinking that it would be easy to shoot one of these deer and load it up and take it home and he lived another 200 miles from where he was at the time.
all he had was a 22 and so he turned his car around and went back and shot one of the deer and it ran off into the darkness. he parked his car alongside the road by a cattleguard and got a small flashlight and went to where he had shot the deer and found some blood and started following the blood trail he had to go about 100 yds into some brush and still finding blood he was walking down a small ranch road when he heard this voice telling him to stop and lay his rifle down or he would be shot .the voice was behind him so he laid his gun down and the voice told him to step back away from the gun and he did and then to get down on his hands and knees . the man came up behind him and stuck a 45 auto against his head and ask him if he wanted the same thing to happen to him that happenned to the deer he said" no please no" and then the man told him to start crawling down this gravel road back toward the highway and so he started crawling .
He told the Highway patrolman that the man followed him almost to the highway ,and he crawled about 100 yds. said he stopped him close to where the vapor light was showed him the pistol and told him if he ever stopped there again he would use it on him . and left . he told the trooper that he waited until he could not hear his footsteps anymore and got up and ran about 25 yds to the cattleguard and got in his car and was heading south when he met the trooper on the highway running 85 mph.
I knew the place where it happened at and about a week went by and I was drinking cofee in a cafe and this landowner came in and sat down we visited a few minutes and I had to ask him about the incident , he just kept drinking his coffee and didn't say anything we talked about a couple other things and he got up to leave and he walked around the table and leaned down and whispered to me " I don't think He will be back in this county." i laughed and told him i certainly agreed. This landowner was a sniper back in WW2 and was very weird anyway but there was not a doubt that it happened.
Navarro