This is simply hilarious, if equal requirements were made to drive a car or operate heavy equipment the USA would shut down within in hours of chaos.

Nobody has an accepted standard. I too have been in the exact situation described in the original post, however, I did have the metal rod in place. She told me that it was now a Lock it was a rod, it must be a lock!

After a little testy conversation with the supervisor, and of all people a baggage handler that happened by as we were discussing this. It was put on the belt. Seems the baggage handlers credibility was the apex judgement in the whole discussion. Once that older black fella said " it's locked ........ it's all locked up, aint nodody gonna open any those latches unless that padlock comes off. "ship it"

They all then agreed and away it went.

Thankfully these idiots default to baggage handler guidance, not sure what authority the guy with the yellow vest and kneepads had but his word was golden to them.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)