Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by kellory
Looks interesting. Nice design, but I think i could lathe cut one from aluminium round bar, drill and tap the center to 1/4x20, and use a flathead elevator bolt for a couple of bucks in material, and a half hour in time.
I'm not saying that it isn't worth $50.00 as a finished shipped product. I'm saying I could fabricate something very close, rather easily. (With access to a lathe)
Good luck with this project sir. I hope you do well with it.

Looking at it that way, if it took a half hour of my time just to make one, $50/per seems about right, once you factor in everything else that goes into it. Setting up your shop, ordering materials, communicating with customers, taking orders, shipping, and other stuff I left out.

Assuming I had the rod stick in hand, and no restrictions on the use of the lathe, most of that time is set up. I could drill the rod, then swap to the tap, then use the cutter and form the bobbin, all on the lathe. The second piece would already be drilled and tapped, so cutting is just minutes. Would have to swap drill and tap about every 2-3 pieces, depending on the length of the tap.
I'm not running down the product, just suggesting an alternative method, that might be cost effective.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~