The bad news is: the guy that hopes to be one of the 16%, doesn't realize that out of that 16% success ratio, probably 85% of those are the same hunters year after year. So 15% of 16% is about what the guy that hopes to walk into an elk and be lucky can expect to be successful. 15% of 16% is only 2.4% and that is what a guy can expect that just decides to go elk hunting, and that doesn't matter if he is in Colorado, Montana or Idaho.

Pretty accurate saying 80/20 rule : "20% of the experienced, and hardest working elk hunters kill 80% of the elk."

Always leaves me scratching my head when friends invite family or friends from out of state and they have lofty expectations of killing a "big 'ol bull"

Most hunters are lucky to even see a bull (on public land) much less have a legitimate chance to harvest one.

When first time hunters join our group I always focus on the little victories. Seeing an elk. Hearing an elk. Enjoying the adventure, the camaraderie, enjoying camp life, the fire, the jokes, the BS stories.

Never is "the harvest" part of the expectation. Of course we will work hard, and do everything we can to be in a spot for a harvest to occur--- but that is the icing on the cake---not the cake itself.