I agree with BSA about the stock. The shape and the color say "Brown Precision" to me. FWIIW, the Brown Precision I have for a Classic has a thicker pad with a Brown Precision logo. This is different than the Pachmayr Cabela's says it has, but things change, so I'm still betting Brown Precision. The original finish was a matte receiver with a glossy barrel, so BSA is correct that something has been done.

My opinion, if you want an example of a Pre '64 as they were sold to see what they are all about, this is not what you are looking for. However, if you are looking for a damn good hunting rifle, assuming it functions like it should and is as accurate as many Pre '64's are, that rifle, in .270, in a Brown Precision stock, for $700 is a no brainer. If it were a Featherweight, it might be a double no brainer.

What to look for? Obviously, look at the bore. If they let you take it out of the stock, see what the barrel stamp says. It might be a year or so earlier than the year of the serial number. If they won't let you pull the stock, a 1950 standard weight barrel should have an integral front sight ramp as opposed to one that is soldered on. Even with the aftermarket finish, these are easy to spot if you know what to look for. If you don't have Rule's book, maybe Google Fu can help you here. There are no sure things, but an original 1950 M70 barrel in good shape is a good start toward an accurate rifle. Dummy cartridges are probably the only way they are going to let you check feeding in the store. If you cannot load your own (NO primers, not just fired primers), A-Zoom brand snap caps might be your best bet. A two pack would let you check feeding from both sides. Four in the magazine would be even better.

If you were my neighbor and said "Hey, want to come with me to look at this rifle?", you bet I would.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/11/17.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"