Originally Posted by pre64win
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I agree with BSA about the stock. The shape and the color say "Brown Precision" to me.

Yep on the Brown stock. The thin pad is an option. As for calling it a "Pachmayr", I wonder if that is just because for some people the brand name "Pachmayr" has become synonymous with "recoil pad", sort of like the brand name Chapstick has become the name which is generically applied to all brands of... well, chapstick (with a small C)!

Originally Posted by GunDoc7
The original finish was a matte receiver with a glossy barrel, so BSA is correct that something has been done.

It looks like the action and barrel have been Cerakoted, or Duracoated. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want, but there is no easy way to return a rifle to a standard finish from Cerkote/Duracoat, if you don't want a painted action.

On that last point, I am always cautious about rifles which have been "customized". I like customized model 70s and personally own several, including a favorite which is Cerakoted. However, if the work was done by anyone less than a perfectionist, "customizations" can be a nightmare. Many gun owners are hopeless tinkerers, all believing they are qualified to stone the trigger, lap the bolt, or otherwise "improve" the rifle. The quality is frequently sub-standard and often these backyard gunsmiths do a lot of damage to an otherwise fine rifle. I would not steer you away from this rifle if you are looking for a nice pre-64 shooter you can hunt with. However, I would look it over very closely before deciding it is a great deal.

Good luck and let us know what you find when you finally get to see it in person!

Justin

Sound advice there....x2

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's