Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by GregW
BC is only important to those who are unethical hunters and shoot at game too far away....

The type of answer given by someone clueless about BC. The fact is that lightweight bullets with average or even poor BC can be shot faster than heavier high BC bullets and at even long range hunting situations the lower BC bullet will shoot flatter. You don't see the heavier bullets start to have less drop until well past the ranges any hunter would shoot. We're talking over a mile.

To a hunter high BC bullets mean more speed and energy at impact at even moderate ranges. A 30-06 shooting a 180 gr bullet with just decent BC's will hit with more speed and energy at 100 yards than a 180 gr RN bullet fired from a 300 WM.

If I compare my 308 with high BC 180 gr bullets to 30-06 with average BC 150 gr bullets the 30-06 bullets leave the muzzle 350 fps faster. But by the time both bullets reach 250 yards the 180's from my 308 are exactly the same speed with over 300 ft lbs of energy advantage. The 30-06 still shoots flatter at 250 yards, by 1". Most people wouldn't call 250 yards unethical, but by carefully choosing your bullets you can get more performance with less recoil with high BC bullets. Push the range to 500 yards and the 308/180 is still at almost 1900 fps and over 1400 ft lbs energy. The 30-06/150 is down to under 1700 fps and less than 1000 ft lbs. It still has less drop though, about 1".

The difference is even more dramatic when you compare different calibers.

I was only repeating what the .270 shooters have said numerous times...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.