Originally Posted by jwall
R R

First off, I don't load for any semi-A so I don't Full Length size ANY brass.

I've had great performance from P Fl sizing. Interestingly enuff, even P Fl sized brass has worked w/o
problems in 1 Tikka 270 & 2 Rem M Sixes. I was expecting to have to size a little differently for 1 or more
of them but didn't have to. I can't explain it but glad all the same.

I work the brass AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE and I have good case life to boot.

Jerry

edit to add : That is the SAME die for 3 diff 270s. Also I have multiple Belted Mags
and P Fl sizing works great w/good case life.

Yup.

Actually, I had forgotten about my old 94 in .30-30, and I have that die set up to FL size, but just a bit loosely. I've used partial FL sizing for everything else for many years myself, so I know the pitfalls....it just so happens that I fell into a known pitfall this time. Again. I don't like it when that happens, but it does now and then.

One thing about partial FL sizing that I discovered a long time ago: it does NOT necessarily eliminate unwanted working of the brass. Depending on the geometry of the case, very often the shoulder will flow forward to some extent before it is bumped back in the die. I think it IS effective in extending case life, as compared to conventional FL sizing and you do get a better fit to the chamber, but it is not a perfect technique by any stretch (pun intended). That's why I've outfitted with Lee Collet dies and Redding Body dies. IMO, collet dies are worthwhile just for the fact that case lubing is not necessary. I'm always open to something that eliminates some of the PITA in handloading. And I am glad I asked the question posed in this thread, too. It is possible that running the offending cartridges through my body die will not address the issue (I'm a believer in the adage that "you don't know until you KNOW"), but if it does work it will save me having to pull bullets, deprime, and start over.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.