Originally Posted by bt8897
Thanks guys. The one I am lookinf at dates 1953. So it is possible that it should have the solid bolt knob?

I haven't read through all the posts, but I will answer the question and say yes!!!!!! It is entirely possible to have a 1953 (especially an early '53) fwt with a solid "ovoid" bolt knob....I actually used to own an early 1953 308 fwt with a solid bolt knob. Bought it from the original owner and it was entirely 100% original... Rule states, this "did not occur on many early featherweights". Like I'm assuming Jason pointed out, this feature was referred to as the "type III-3". Rule also further states that only about half of the rifles made between 1952 and the mid part of 1953 had the bolt handles drilled: In his own words, "The drilled bolt knob improvement started type III-3 at approximately 225,000 (1952), but was slow to capture the full production line. Less than 50% of rifles manufactured between 225,000 and 268,000 were drilled with the bolt "hole", INCLUDING the featherweights, for which it was intended".....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA