I had no intention on getting on the Creedmoor bandwagon. I figured I had the bases pretty well covered with what I already had. But, when Darick at Whitakers advertised those Howa Lightnings for $299, I kinda sorta changed my mind. I made the hour drive north and bought one, figuring I'd stick it in the back of the safe for a winter project. Like a kid with a dollar burning a hole in his pocket, I couldn't wait till winter.

I thought I had a good scope somewhere to put on it, but couldn't find it. I didn't want to take one off a rifle, and didn't want to go and take back one I loaned out. So, looking around in the scope drawer, I came up with a choice between a Weaver 2X10X38 Japan made, or a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5X10. The Simmons was actually the better looking glass, so I put it on, rather than order another scope and have to wait on it. I figured even a cheap scope would tell me how good the rifle would shoot.

I don't shoot factory ammo, preferring instead to make my own. I had to be close to Clarksville TN this afternoon, so I went by MidSouth and picked up some brass and dies. I had some 120 grain Sierra Matchkings, and figured they'd be good enough to zero the rifle in with. I printed off Hogdon's reloading info for the 6.5, and decided to go with W760 powder, as I had a little bit left in a can and wanted to use it up. I loaded 42.5 grains, CCI primers, and Hornady brass. After boresighting, it took 2 shots to zero at 25 yards. My first 100 yard 3 shot group went into .3950. I adjusted the scope, and fired another 3 shot group, .7260 on that one. Sorry, no pics. Can't seem to figure out how to on here.

My only complaint was how the barrel heated up so fast. I know with some different bullets and powder combinations, this rifle will be a shooter. I admit to being very impressed. The trigger pull is very good. The stock sucks, but what do expect on a 300 dollar rifle. I can't wait to put a better scope on, and try some more loads at a longer distance.

Last edited by JamesJr; 06/20/17.