I have a 25-06 that I can shoot well. It's a quite accurate Tikka T3. I've mounted a Leupold 4-12x scope with LR dots.

I'm going cow elk hunting this winter and may get a bull elk tag next year. I have no trouble hitting antelope at 400 yards with a 100gr TTSX (Federal factory load) but I'm concerned about expansion and penetration with elk at longer distances (500 yards?), where velocity of the 100gr bullet will be dropping to below 2,000 fps.

Under those conditions, what's my best bullet choice: 100 TTSX, 110 Accubond, 115 / 120 Partition or 115 Berger VLD? Something else?

And yes, I know the standard answer: "Get closer." I'm planning to - I passed on an elk last winter in Wyoming because I didn't feel I could make a good first-shot hit.

But I'm pushing my limits this summer a bit with accuracy and distance, and I want to be sure my bullet will perform at the same distances I can. I could pick a larger, more powerful cartridge but my rotator cuff simply can't tolerate the big boomers any more.

What do you think?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke