Originally Posted by jimmyp
in 39 years of shooting black rifles I can only recall haveing had one jam and it was from some off brand steel magazine, which I immediately destroyed. I have no idea how much 55 grain ball ammo I have fired over this time. I have never owned a diamondback, core, windham, PSA, etc. I promptly sold a RRA and Bushwacker as soon as I realized what they were. Colt or DD are good guns, Noveske is a good gun, BCM is great, wish I could afford knight. People buy crap and complain when it breaks.
Man, I wish I had your luck!

...still...I have never had a problem with a Colt AR which is why the vast majority of AR's I have owned over the years have been Colt's. When I got my first AR back in the '80's everyone gave me a hard time and told me to get used to clearing jams...yeah, NEVER had an issue with that old SP1. Meanwhile watched the Mini-14's have various failures from time to time when they got good and hot. I recall my friends rather expensive H&K 93 giving him a little trouble here and there while my SP1 just hummed along. My AR-180 was bulletproof too...like a fool I sold it, but recently fixed that bad decision. But over the years I've had a few lemons for sure.

I find myself fixing a lot of AR's for 3 gun shooters and just like 1911's & Glocks, you find many of the problems are owner induced.

I keep tabs on what my friends own, and in my close circle I have noticed pretty good results with Colt, Bushmaster, and S&W for the more affordable AR's. I know one competitor who has put probably close to 20k rounds through a Spikes Tactical in a little over 1.5 years, and he hasn't had any issues...I'm pretty surprised at that, considering what he paid for it.