Good thinking, blanket. They need family more than a stranger, but shade tree is doing the right thing When you are in dire straits, any help I'm sure will be appreciated. True there has been some frauds, who take advantage of a good-intentioned person, but there are tons of Suicide's related to Vet's who have some Battle related issues. It's discussed constantly in The American Legion Magazine and also in The Dept. Of Veteran's Affairs publications.
I have a close friend who suffer's from PTSD extensively. He is managing his affliction nicely, because of help from family and friends such as myself, who went through similar situations, but for some reason were not affected as severely. He never misses his counseling appointments at the VA which he claims has been great. What would help my friend and possibly the one that shade tree is talking about would be a job opportunity. Being a normal part of society and going to a job every day is much better than sitting around all day and waiting for the disability payments. If any one has a job available, Check with the VA. They can refer you to some one who may desperately need your help.

Better to be over the hill than under it.