Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by kragman1
I've heard of the magnum Marlin but never seen one.
I'm sure they're pretty rare. Anyone know how they shoot?

I owned one in the late 1980s. With irons or a scope it shot no better than average m9422M. Pretty much a 2 moa gun( thats 1inch at 50 yards) like most 22 magnums:)

And like the m39s I have owned ,working the action feels like dragging a sled over a pile of rocks compared to an m94/22. Or a Henry for that matter.

Even the action on my 118 year old model 1897 is not as smooth as a m94/22.

any tricks for cleaning up the 39 action?

I have one and thats my only gripe. I love my 39 and cant compare to a Winchester so my vote is Marlin.

Growing up... the only person I know who had a wichester was the rich dentist kid.

Well, I darned sure wasn't a rich kid..:)
I saved up $200 to buy my first .22 and even though I wss sure it would be a lever action, it was sort of an agonizing choice.. The History of the Marlin 39 going back to Annie Oakley's M1891 or the relatively "new" Winchester m94/22...

As to slicking up a m39 action , yeah I guess someone who knows what they are doing could stone and debur some of the parts inside the gun without making it unsafe or unreliable. However-the point of my comment above was a lot of it is LL Hepburn's basic design..I mean Jeezus- if 118 years of hard use won't smooth up an action -nothing will!

My '97 had the crap used out of it before I got it. The bore was completelty shot out and yet it is complete and functions like a new rifle. Even the wood is still sound-no cracks. So, the old gal is currently being torn down and will be sent out to one of the best barrel men in the US for a top notch reline job. I am really looking forward to shooting it once it's done:)

Last edited by jk16; 07/07/17.