Can't speak for the Ruger, but I've built a couple customs now based around the Savage Axis. Definitely not what you want if you're after a lightweight rig, but they're not the heaviest rifle either.

[Linked Image]

This first one is a left bolt/right port in .223 Rem with a Boyds Prairie Hunter stock. The action received the full works: face shaved to accept a standard 110-style recoil lug, trued and timed, bolt body fluted, reworked bolt handle and installed an AccuTrigger that was massaged down to 1-1/2 pounds. Work was done by Fred Moreo. Barrel is just the factory tube for now, but it puts five inside of 3/4" at 100 all day long so i can't complain considering the action isn't bedded.

[Linked Image]

This second one is actually the first one I built which is in .284 Winchester. Same work on the action, but with a Timney trigger and a different rework of the factory bolt handle. Barrel is a 23" Shilen #4 contour. The stock is the Pro Hunter from Sharp Shooter Supply, but I'm probably going to change it out for a Boyds Classic or another Prairie Hunter as it's just a little bulky and heavy. Good for a varmint rifle that you're shooting prone or off a bench, but not ideal for carrying or off-hand shots. This one was also blasted and parkerized.

All that said, I would agree with the others above and recommend you save up for a higher grade rifle to start with. In the long run you will be money ahead and you will have a lot more options available to you should you ever want to do anything with it.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!