A hint of caution in regards to drumming counts. These only refer to the number of males heard drumming during the study time, it does not measure the number of females that survived the winter nor the success of the hatch which came later. It has a general applicability but weather at the time of hatch has a very large influence on fall numbers.

My personal observation has been slightly better numbers from last year but local conditions have varied greatly. One area I often hunt has been hit regularly with rain in May and early June with an obvious affect on chick numbers. Closer to home weather was more favorable but I haven't found a brood yet. Not sure what is going on, I suspect chance has been in the bird's favor and I'll find them soon. A third place has great numbers but it was logged 12 years ago and is entering its prime for birds.

The latter is the key, find areas that were logged a dozen to 25 years ago and there should be good bird numbers, at least good for the area. I've concentrated on those types of areas and have had good hunting no matter the drumming counts. Hunt the young aspen growths and one will always find some birds. These are also good areas for woodcock and become great if there are some damp spots scattered around.