Originally Posted by DonFischer
Originally Posted by Tanzan
It's an old thread but my question fits.

Have any of you tried the 160gnTTSX in 338WM?

I am thinking about such a load at 2600fps for kids 10-12 years old. the idea is for the round to take impala-sized gamed, up to hartebeest, probably at distances 150-250 yards.
(The rifle is a Tikka, 7.5pounds with a scope, on an LOP cut back to 12.5".)

Why in the world would you give a kid that age a 338 mag no matter what you fed it? Reduce loads are not an answer it my opinion. Saw some 300 mag reduced loads on Midway. Probably lower velocity and a 150 gr bullet! For wha reason would you reduce the 338 to that lever, shoot, a 300 Savage and 308 Win do well with 150 gr bullet's. You could drop down to a 260 with a 140gr bullet!

Coincidentally, I just came back from the range yesterday where I happened to meet a father who saw me working up a load for my .338WM. He came over to share a video of his son shooting his .338. The kid was happier that a hog in slop. His first word was WOW and then he couldn't stop smiling. "Dad, can I shoot it again." Later, he brought his boy over in person and I got to chat with him. They had shot a full-power load and were excited to learn that the .338 is one of the calibers that can be effectively down-loaded to use on lighter game with less recoil.

I guess it worked for that particular kid, at least. :-)