The really disastrous fires started on I think it was July 7 when a lightening storm added over 100 fires to those in progress, making a total of about 250 wildfires. This morning a news story said that firefighters have it down to 129 wildfires, with the worst month of fire season still ahead. British Columbia extended a state of emergency again for the province yesterday, now till August 18.

A good friend of mine in the Chilcotin had his house burned to the ground in those first days. He barely had time to load his horse, have his wife grab grandkid photos and he grabbed his guns and his guitar. They stayed in the evacuated area as part of a local Indian Reserve and local ranchers fire fighting team that stayed to try and save other houses and barns. No mail, no phone, no services and no way in or out most of the time, roads restricted to emergency vehicles. Emergency services providing food. He and his wife are staying in a neighbor's old cabin. His son-in-law told me that much, and said, “He's got his girl, his guns and his guitar. What more could a man want?”

SIL tried to take in a 4x4 pickup and trailer load of emergency stuff via back logging roads but could not get through 10 days ago. He is trying again today. Big fine for anyone unauthorized in the restricted areas or on restricted roads so I assume he got a permission slip of some kind. Loooong way around to get there, way east, way north, then back west and south.

Over 40,000 people evacuated, whole towns, and some 9,000 still cannot go home. A whole village burned near Ashcroft and Cache Creek. At one point highways were closed in 15 places, including the Trans-Canada.

Small change compared to news that someone Trump knows may have talked to a Russian some time, so the BC fires don't get much coverage.

Four days ago the prevailing wind reversed from normal and started blowing SW toward the coast. So our town near the coast and near the US border has heavy overcast smoke above and ground visibility down to3/4 mile. NW WA State must be similar.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/05/17. Reason: spel Czech