I have a flat-bed (wish it were V- preferably South Bend, but...) metal working lathe adequate for my needs, up to including barrel work, that I took out of my old shop (now an apartment) where I had it's moderately heavy steel table bolted into the concrete floor.

Can't do that in my garage, as I have slab heating and I don't know where the tubes run. I wasn't there when the slab was poured to set bolts and didn't know where I might want it, anyway. Still don't. A work in progress.... smile

Think you machinists that an 6' X 8' base slab of concrete 6-10 inches thick (the less I can get away with the better) would stabilize this enough? I'm not going to be doing "professional" - this is a hobby thing, primarily for myself, or a very few friends. Not that that makes much difference in what is minimum or better.

I have an old WWII era Eskimo Scout rifle once owned by Charlie Sheldon (who "modified" it into a usable hunting rifle) to rebuild into replica shooting condition for a friend - if one of us doesn't die first.

I'm thinking a couple embedded rings/ rebar etc reinforcing in the pad would not be amiss if necessary to move it with a Bob-cat or such . The garage has 16 foot walls, so there is height to lift. Rather not drag it on that epoxy-paint floor.

Any alternatives you can think of?

Last edited by las; 08/06/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.