Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by akjeff
Hey las, before you get to involved, maybe try and get your hands on a high quality infrared camera. Start with a cold slab, and turn on the heat, and see if you can map out your piping? I've got a light duty flat bed lathe as well, I feel your pain! (mine's a Craftsman/Atlas 12X36). It's actually not a bad little lathe, just painfully slow, as you have to take really light cuts.

Jeff

Atlas is mine too. Thanks for the suggestions. Now that I have the slab heat going, and if I can rent a camera(doubtful), both are preferable suggestions to what I've been thinking. I'll research. Not planning to do it until next summer at the earliest anyway.

I can always turn the heat off for a week or so to cool, then start over if I can find a camera. Pads sound better tho.

Yep. If you know any commercial electricians, home inspectors, or heat loss studies, etc....maybe you could borrow one? My lathe came with the factory cabinet style stand with undermount motor. I bolted it to the floor, and put a tool chest on the lower shelf, and have the heaviest tooling possible in it to add weight. It'll never be what I'd like for it to be, but every little bit helps. I also get much better finish using good old HSS tools as opposed to carbide. Cheaper too!

Jeff