Originally Posted by MikeL2
Have you tried a picaridin based repellent? Not entirely odorless, but less than the perfumes a lot of manufacturers put into DEET based stuff. I still use DEET sometimes, but starting to use picaridin more often.

The one I've found is a Sawyer product, Cabelas and Amazon carry it, others places must too. https://sawyer.com/products/picaridin-insect-repellent/

In my completely non-scientific observations it works about equally on mosquitoes (but haven't seen any time-release formulas like some DEET products), and seems to work better for Adirondack black flies.

Bonus - its not a plasticizer like DEET, doesn't melt plastics.

^^^this^^^

I hunt in and around marshes in Florida twelve months of the year, Bug Central. The mosquitos are almost always bad, and certain times of the year the deer flies (yellow flies) will eat you alive. I've tried just about everything, and while some products work better than others, Sawyer Picaridin is the best I've found so far. It will keep everything away and I can't detect any smell at all once it dries (which is fast). If anything would smell it it would be a pig, and so far so good. And it's less than $5 per can at WalMart.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown