Jeff,

Like you, my old orange 1" Thermarest did me well for a couple decades. Apparently the insulation inside began to deteriorate and would it plug up the valve when I tried to deflate it.

So I bought a Big Agnes insulated Air Core. Insulated my left eye, that pad is a cold sumbee...... I've borrowed the insulated Q-Core, X-Therm, and a REI insulated pad, and have come to the conclusion I don't like being balanced on a Swimming Pool Air Pad. I keep thinking in the middle of the night I'm gonna fall off and drown in the pool. I kind've feel like I''m balanced on them.

I tried a Big Agnes Two Track self inflating pad and really liked it. It's twice as thick as my old Thermarest and is rated something well below zero. Self inflating foam pads are inherently warmer than the air pads. I found that out myself when I put my old Thermarest Ultra Light 5/8" pad under the Insulated Air Core and it made a world of difference.

Of the guys I talked to who are old enough to have used self inflating pads, they all say the air pads have a greater risk of springing leaks.

Of the young studs I've talked to who do a lot of backcountry extreme skiing they mostly seem to be using the Exped air pads.

Even though the Two Track is rather heavy at something approaching 30 ozs I think that 's going to be the one I buy.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.