Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Of the guys I talked to who are old enough to have used self inflating pads, they all say the air pads have a greater risk of springing leaks.

The Neoairs are different from most both in terms of durability and insulating value. Much better insulation that my BA insulated air core pad. I have a pile of older self-inflaters in my basement, they're still serviceable but the Neoair is the one I reach for. I already had one but it was recommended to me by the outfitter I used for my AK sheep hunt, and it's what he uses. I used it for 12 days, camped on rocks every night. Never had an issue with it before, during, or after.

The biggest advantage to the air mattresses are their ability to smooth out the rocks, roots, bumps and dead pine squirrels under the tent floors. But....another thing I don't like about them is when I put my hand, or elbow and sometimes my hip it goes clear to the ground. Inflate the pad really tight in an attempt to address that and it makes it feel more like your're going to roll off.

I've never had a pad spring a leak on me in the field, and I know some people are just hard on that kind of stuff, but I've seen a lot more leaks from the air mattresses than the old self inflators.

I slept on a X-Therm, and as air mattresses go it was the best of the ones I have slept on, but the extra thick Two Track impressed me a lot. Plus the Two Track has a higher R-Value ( If we can trust manufacturers ratings), but it is heavier.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.