The National Guard Act, and recent amendments, centralized funding to a federal source to make it easier for Guardsmen to move state to state and between components (Guard-Reserve-Active) without having to endure a different retirement with each move. I know, I've been in 41 years and have been active, then reserve, now guard.

When in state active duty status, Guardsmen do not receive any federal retirement points, or federal subsidies, like housing, medical, etc. It's a stand-alone gig.

The President, through a declaration of a national emergency or disaster, can authorize payments to a State to pay for the Guard. However, when in State status, they are not agents of the US at all.

Relative to Veteran Status, until just recently, Guardsman who were never called up to serve in a federal status, and did not serve in federal status for over 6(?) months, were not Veterans. Period.

Trump just signed a bill to change that a few (months?) ago.

The Guard used to be a easy gig (or so I'm told). My unit has troops deployed and troops in combat on a regular basis. We went from a "Strategic Reserve" to an "Active Reserve" in the post 9-11 area.

Given the current threat basis (ISIS, et al) I don't see the Guard getting less active in national events.

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/25/17.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.