I have a Wilton on one bench in my shop, and a vintage Emmert Patternmaker's Vise on another bench. Both get used a lot, but for different applications. If cost is no object and you want the best vise for holding odd shaped objects, hunt down an Emmert. It's a essentially a hell-for-stout woodworking vise with flat 12" wide/6" deep cast steel jaws that articulate to conform to tapered objects (vertically and horizontally), and swivels vertically to allow getting at the work with rasps/files/planes at disparate angles to prevent having to contort oneself. They've been gone from the market for decades, I think, and command a premium at antique tool fairs because the cognoscente appreciate their extreme versatility. A nice one may well set you back the cost of a new deer rifle (or two) but they're worth every penny.

Another vise I use a helluva lot is one of those little Panavise's. Set's up anywhere, rotates 360 degrees, tilts through around 45 degrees, soft nylon jaw inserts. Perfect for holding small parts for filing, soldering, hand polishing, etc.

Truth be told, for occasional home hobbyist use, I don't see where a Harbor Freight vise wouldn't be a-ok. It's when you depend on a vise in the course of your livelihood that high quality/durability starts to matter, a lot.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/28/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty