Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
In this case, the German designs are manufactured in Japan and other Asian nations.

Meaning China I assume.

China can manufacture quality goods, the Apple Iphone is made there and virtually everyone agrees it's a quality product. However, Apple is able to demand and receive quality because of their status as an 800 lb gorilla, they can rigidly control QC from start to finish in their factory. The Chinese mentality is always going to be to cut corners and downgrade quality until they get caught, that's just what they do. The Japanese won't do that, it's a point of honor for them which the Chinese don't possess. I'm in China and Japan quite a bit for work and it's amazing the difference in cultures. A colleague once remarked that you could leave your suitcase on the sidewalk in China and it'd be stolen inside a minute, in Japan they'd wash and iron the clothes then repack it for you, find you and deliver it to your door. Despite both being Asian the cultures couldn't be farther apart, they're THAT different.

I don't trust that any small startup can get consistent quality out of a Chinese supplier. A huge company like Apple can get it by sheer dominance, but trying to get Schimdt Bender or Swarovski quality out of the Chinese isn't likely to happen from a small reseller.

Their more expensive stuff is Japanese. Japs can, and do make fantastic optics, and have for a long time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.