Early "U.S. Springfield, Model 1922, caliber .22" rifles are quite rare. Only around 2000-2050 were produced. To determine if the one you are looking at remains as-issued, look for the following: A) headless cocking piece. B) Lyman 48 (short slide 48B, no flip-up aperture) rear, standard '03 front sight. C) cupped butt plate. D) finger grasping grooves in fore arm. E) twin pronged firing pin (like the M1919 Savage)- .22 rimfire ammo back then wasn't as reliable as we enjoy it today, twin firing pins were deemed an advantage for reliable ignition. F) Bolts were not serial numbered to receivers as were later M1922M1 and M2 Springers were. G) When the M2 was intro'ed, early M1922's were upgraded with later style bolts (headspace adjustable via set screw set into locking lug- 1922 bolts unadjustable) when turned in for repairs- that's why totally original M1922's are so rare. H) Ditto the original magazine- originally extended below stock, M1 and M2 mags sit flush, and were swapped out during rebuilds.

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head, Chris. If you need more info I can dig out my copies of Brophy and Campbell and look stuff up for you.

If your specimen has no finger grooves in the fore arm, then it was re-stocked with an M1 or M2 stock, although not all such stocks were configured like that. The world of M1 and M2 variants can get confusing with all the variants contained therein. M1922's were relatively pure in that regard- they didn't muck around with variations, and when it was deemed necessary to modify the design they called it an entirely different model.

Hope this helps.

And yes, the M1922, and especially the later M1 and M2, is IMO one of the top 5 .22 bolt action rifles ever built. They keep company with the M52 Winchester, M37 Remington, Martini variants, and Anschutz family members. Sorry guys, but Savage never made anything that would compete with those fellas, IMO.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty