Originally Posted by Jonnymac

This type of article is always going to be focused on the right now. Is it going to make you sell your prized 30-06 or .270 for pennies on the dollar? I should hope not, but if you get that desire shoot me a PM before posting in the classifieds. Of everything you listed from the WSSM's to the Lazzaronis this is the only new cartridge that I recall gaining this much traction in my lifetime. I think what impresses me most is the availability of quality ammunition at a reasonable price point. Ballistic twin of the 6.5x55 and the .260? Absolutely. The only difference is today I can buy hunting ammo for less than $1 per round for the 6.5 Creedmoor whereas the other two I cannot.

I distinctly remember reading a similar Outdoor Life article in the waiting room of my dentist's office 15-20 years ago. Mr. Carmichael was discussing the magnificence of the then new .260 Rem. I wanted one in the worst way but didn't have the cash for another rifle. I chose to buy college textbooks instead. When I got to the point that I could buy a 260 I chose to purchase the 6.5 CM instead because I preferred the rifle it was chambered in. The point of any of these articles isn't to make you get rid of all of your other rifles because they're obsolete. Its not like every new rifle that is reviewed is in some exotic caliber. Do you think Ruger cares if your 7th RAR rifle you are adding to your collection is in .308 or 6.5 CM? If you need/want/obsess over another rifle articles such as these give you a reason to purchase one. If you're new to rifle ownership they give you an idea of what people are shooting in the current market.

The Winchester short and super short magnums were supposed to knock the socks off the (then) present crop of cartridges. So much so, that Winchester cut back on the regular table fare and put a bunch of WSM and WSSM bolt rifles into production. Winchester thinned the herd in favour of these great cartridges. How'd they make out? crazy And, of course, what was all that nonsense between Winchester and Rick Jamison? blush

You'll find that what was old is new again. That profit spurs invention, and, to that end, the almighty dollar rules.

Whatever happened to the 223 and 243 WSSMs? laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]