Originally Posted by msinc
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Aren't you forgetting the standard way to fix this? You know, running an oversize button in first to expand the necks, then running them through a standard neck-sizing die to leave a little bump at exactly the right spot to produce the crush fit. Running bullets out to the lands leads to magazine issues, random bullet-pulling (in the rifle) and possible overpressures...

No, I am not. He has new cases that are not fired or expanded and they are too small for his chamber. In fact, he just received this rifle...probably not his first, but I very seriously doubt he has ever heard of over sized buttons, let alone owns one at this time. Magazine issues??? load them one at a time if needed.....bullet pulling??? He's forming some cases, not doing load/unload drills......over pressure??? Not if he loads them right.

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I once received a .223AI from a smith and noticed the lack of crush fit when I first took it out to sight in (factory ammo). Had a couple of fail to fires. Contacted him, sent it back, he took care of it, and it was good after that. He said he just messed up and made it right.

All gunsmiths have to learn how to do it right sooner or later....but they need to learn this on something other than a customers gun......"just messed up" headspace and handed it to a customer???? What exactly did he say??? "Here you go, if it don't blow up and kill you I'll make it right later....." Again, you cannot mess up headspace that bad and not know.
All that said, "lack of crush fit with factory ammo" may not have anything to do with the rifle, his could be fine...I have seen factory ammo that bad and it is not uncommon. Another reason to own the tools to check case headspace length.

I was thinking you are the one unaware of using a 25 caliber expander button (must be at least a couple bucks at most stores with reloading supplies) to create a false shoulder. Using the bullet jammed in the lands is flat wrong...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.