Originally Posted by Simoneaud
Originally Posted by jmh3
Order one of these. They send you the machine and you send it back and they analyze the sample.

https://homeaircheck.com/products/

If you haven't done any remodeling lately, get the version without formaldehyde. I had the same problem 2 years ago. Turns out my HVAC system balance was off and was creating negative pressure and pulling air and dust from the garage. I could tell because the test showed elevated levels of gasoline and paint in the VOC analysis. I had the system balanced and coughing quit. I'm not saying that is your problem, but the test is almost the same quality a professional will do for a fraction of the price. Most times you can figure out the source of the problem based on what is elevated. If it comes back with elevated mold, then have a professional look at it.

I keep thinking about this, I have never heard of this:
"Turns out my HVAC system balance was off and was creating negative pressure and pulling air and dust from the garage"

How do you balance a AC system?

What do you mean by "Negative pressure"

And you are saying storing gas cans in the garage, caused your AC to suck fumes into the house? with the house door closed 98% of the time?

Reason I am asking, is I have been dealing with a stuffed up nose that happens at about 3am each night.

-Jason

I guess my post was a little confusing. My HVAC system has a heat recovery ventilator (exchanges fresh air with inside air). When they install it they are supposed to balance the airflow so that the volume of fresh air coming in is exactly the same as the volume going out. The installer never did that to mine, so there was more air being pumped out than was being replaced. In the winter when we didn't have windows and doors open, it created a slight vacuum in the house. The negative pressure pulled air from the attached garage (which isn't heated) into the house. I thought I had mold because I had a constant cough so I rented a mold/VOC test machine and it showed gasoline and paint fumes but no mold. I don't think it was the gas fumes causing the problem, I think it was dust from the garage getting into the house, and I'm allergic to dust. The point of my poorly written post was that when the gas and paint showed up on the test, I was able to tell that somehow air from my garage was being sucked into the house. In my case, the relatively inexpensive test was worth the money. I think I still have the report at work. If I can find it I'll post it. It was pretty informative.

------------------------
John