Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't understand why SWFA doesn't put the same MQ reticle in the 3-15x as they do in the 3-9x. Same goes for the turrets. The 3-9x is a nice package IMO (limited experience speaking).

JG I have your answer. If the 3 x15 had a thicker reticle like the 3x 9, it would be too thick on its highest power,and would cover up the target,especially a small steel, ect. On 15 x I definitely wouldn't want the reticle thicker than it is. I rarely go past 10x anyway,even on coyotes out to 500yds. I shoot less power than most.

If the 3-15 is FFP then its reticle remains the same size relative to the target at every power. Too thick at 15x means too thick at 3x as well.

Not necessarily. The difference is in application between the magnification limits. For example, if I'm deer hunting and I know that I'll be using 3x for 0-50 meter shooting, I don't mind a 4 MOA reticle because the kill zone has a diameter of about 20 MOA at 50 meters, and the additional contrast helps with quick shooting and low light. But crank that scope up to 15x for 500+ meter shots in good light conditions, and I'm usually shooting targets that are 2-3 MOA or smaller, so a 4 MOA reticle is far from ideal. A 0.1-0.2 MOA reticle is better suited to that use.

So a reticle that covers 1 MOA at 15x may be too thick, but far from too thick at 3x, despite having the same angular subtension at both magnification settings.