Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I have two 3-15s and love them. Took one bouncing and slogging around Prince of Wales a year ago. No issues. Lots of tripping. At times almost tossing the rifle forward and bushwacking to it....repeat. I dial both out to 800 and back often. No issues.

I would like to ask......why is everyone sooooooo hot on the 3-9X? I really REALLY like Xs. I never held or used a 3-9 SS. Been in the cart and almost purchased often. But 9X to me.....is a very very limiting factor in a gun that will go beyond 300 yards. But this is a "Campfire Thing". Everyone on here seems to like 2.5-8X or 3-9X. Maybe I'm just a dumb kid from a new era.....

What are you shooting at? Moose or mice?

I generally prefer to use less magnification for less wiggle, wobble and heartbeat feedback from the sight picture. I practice so much at 300 yards on smallish targets with "only" 6x that a deer looks pretty big when I'm drawing a bead.

Saturday I mounted an old Vari-X II 3-9x40 on a Rem 700 in 308 Winchester. I set it up for point and shoot out to 200+ yards with a mild load. On 6x the reticle is 4 moa from the center to where the duplex thickens, which is just about the right hold for 300 yards. I tacked up a blank sheet of letter size paper at 300 and plunked four shots into .72 moa holding center with the transition point of the duplex.

If you prefer more magnification then go with it, but don't think you have to have it to do well. (Barring eyesight issues and the like of course.)